Getting Pickier: My Three Shot Challenge

I went out today to a different reservoir, but the same great Colorado weather. This reservoir is just minutes from my house, so it is easy for me to pop over there.

I was trying to be picky, looking for something that moved me. I walked for along time. Then, I walk across the frozen lake. Then, I sat on a stump and waited. All this waiting is hard to do when it is 32 degrees outside, but the sun was out and it was quiet, so I couldn't complain too much.

My first shot I took of a heart shaped leaf that was shining in the sunlight. Like yesterday, these leaves make me happy because they are nature's hearts. Good light, good focus, I'm happy.



My second image was of an ice fisherman who was pulling his sled full of tools, fishing poles, and most likely, beer across the lake. I was worried about this one because he was moving and I wanted to capture him. I took two shots, this was the better one.



I must admit, it was hard not to shoot everything. I felt pressured to find something that moved me and after an hour with no photographs, I was losing hope. I did see a wolf or coyote about 20 minutes into my photo hunt, but he quickly ran off into the bush.

In the end, I think that David duChemin says it best in his book, Within the Frame, "go easy on yourself; regret and self-loathing do nothing good for your creativity."